Okay...so that's misleading...
So, since my washer’s been broken for the past few weeks (with hopes for the ability to repair it ourselves dwindling), I’ve been doing small loads on a regular basis at my sister’s. Which is fantastic, and I love her for it. But on the weekends, I try to take care of the big stuff at the Laundromat.
The Laundromat has its pros and cons, of course. It is nice to get everything done in one fell swoop. And it does get me out of the house for a little while. But it’s about the most boring place on earth.
I never realize, until I’m forced to go to the Laundromat, how much else I can actually get done while I’m doing laundry at home. I don’t even think about how much time it actually takes and how much takes to do. It’s not until I’m sitting there, making small talk with the lady behind the counter or trying to avoid people plowing through the narrow rows with their giant laundry carts piled with strange underwear and whatnot that I realize how boring it is—because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO.
I know there some Laundromats exist that are attached to or near other businesses in order to capitalize on the customers’ wasted time. Like, I’ve heard of them being combined with tanning salons. But that really holds no appeal for me whatsoever—I’ve learned to deal with my shockingly pasty complexion years ago.
So, in the spirit of reviving the Top 5 List, and just for SOMETHING to do while I’m sitting here with no Internet connection, here are the things I would enjoy being able to do while at the Laundromat. Enjoy.
Top 5 Other Businesses That Should Be Combined with Laundromats*:
5. Car wash – Nothing reminds me of how much my car needs vacuuming more than putting clean clothes in the trunk. “When’s the last time we even had Doritos? Ew…”
4. Bookstore/library – Actually, library is probably better, unless the bookstore takes leftover quarters and doesn’t cost too much. Because omg…it’s getting expensive to do laundry.
3. Coffee Shop – I was thinking bar, because alcohol, but coffee shop is a better choice. I could just see people getting loaded and ralphing into empty washing machines. Or not empty.
2. Gym – You’re in there watching bad TV that you can’t hear over the machines anyway. Why not get on the treadmill? Hauling your clothes in and out of the car and the machines could count as weight lifting.
1. Arcade – This would be brilliant, since there’s already a change machine there for quarters. I could totally throw down with some House of the Dead while I’m waiting to add some fabric softener.
*Any combination of the above is also acceptable.
Of course, if the Laundromat I went to would just add WiFi, I’d be a happy girl. But then this fascinating list wouldn’t exist. You’re welcome.
Oops—time to fold!