Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Speed Demon

Yikes...apparently I am afraid to use it...

Well, anyway, I figured now would be as good a day as any to dust off the ol' Tuesday Top 5. Cos hey, I actually have a topic!

So, I started a new job, which is only a little farther away than my old job was. It's a nice drive down the tollway (and there actually is such a thing now that most of the construction is finished) and it only takes me about 45 minutes, door-to-door. And I haven't had too many problems with the drive so far, except one: I am an Illinois girl, regardless of what my license plates say, and I have a tendency to drive a little too fast.

Case in point: When leaving work yesterday, I had a brief chat with a girl I work with who lives about 10 miles closer to work than I do. At one point she asked me, "Which way do you take to get home, because you get home so much faster than I do--you don't take the tollway, do you?" I replied that I did, and when she asked me how I always got home so quickly, I looked at my feet and sheepishly replied, "I speed."

I speed. Oh boy, do I ever.

(And before anyone goes all freaky and starts yelling at me for speeding with the kids in the car, rest assured, I only drive like a FIB when I'm all by my lonesome.)

But, in my defense, a lot of times whatever I'm listening to has a direct impact on how fast I drive. And there are certain songs that just make me drive too fast. Seriously, it's not my fault.

Just to prove my point, I'll share the guilty parties, and you can pass judgement yourselves. Here's the lineup...the Top 5 Songs That Make Me Drive Too Fast:

5) "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz - I actually got a ticket while listening to this song once, for doing 80 in a 55. I still say that it should be illegal for songs from Gran Turismo to be played on the radio. Just sayin'.

4) "Girls on Film (Night Version)" by Duran Duran - (On second thought, maybe I shouldn't link the video...) This one is double trouble, because it also makes me car dance. And, you know, there's that whole bass player thing...

3) "Television Television" by OK GO - This song is relentless and just screams "Go! Go! GO!"

2) "Creepin' Up The Backstairs" by The Fratellis - Actually, the whole first album makes me drive too fast. It also helps me stay awake when I've been up to late writing this silly stuff when I have to work in the morning.

1) "Leave Home" by The Chemical Brothers - Anything with a good, driving beat like this really makes my right foot quite heavy somehow. Plus...I mean, it was in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Duh.

So there you have it. How can I possibly be guilty with this kind of influence??





1 comment:

  1. One addendum to this list: "Brianstorm" by Arctic Monkeys. Thank you mister state trooper for not paying attention! Whew!

    ReplyDelete